"Lean wit it rock wit it. Snap wit it....Do it do it do it do it."
Over the past two days I’ve made quite an important
discovery:
Snapchat is a GREAT community builder.
I don’t really mean the way
that it’s used as a social media platform where you share snaps. It’s the
filters! The filters are the source of so much fun and so many laughs.
Last night Mary and I went to hang with my friend and his
family at their new home. His little one was walking around in a sweatshirt, a
diaper and socks and refused to give us the time of day. I was racking my brain
trying to figure out how to make her like us and hang out with us when I got
the great I idea of taking out the baby magnet also known as an iPhone. I quickly
open snapchat for some filter fun. This worked brilliantly as it always does
and so I was able to have some fun with a sweet little one before she headed to
bed and I got my butt beat in Bananagrams.
Similarly, I spent the day with my dad who I haven’t seen in
two years. In an awkward moment, a break in the list of things we had to do
today, I again opened up snapchat. We spent a good amount of time on that thing
being hilarious. And now I have this little reel of memories to remind me of
this day and this moment when I’m missing him.
It’s not uncommon for people to write blogs about the evils
of social media and “kids these days” being on their phones nonstop. And yes, I
am always bummed when I want to spend quality time with someone and they have
their phone out instead of being in the moment.

No comments:
Post a Comment