Friday, January 27, 2017

Fergus Friday

It's finally Friday in what seems to be the one longest week in my adult memory. In my exhausted state I proceeded to cook dinner, walk my Fergus and watch an early 2000's Rom Com. After all of that I still had nothing to write about. But after taking Fergus on her last walk and trying to keep her from barking at the recycling (her favorite pastime after 9:30pm) I had the most fun playing with her. I was once again reminded what a gift this little quirky four legged creature is in my life.

Dogs are also good for dressing up in family costumes

I never wanted a dog. I grew up allergic to the world and with parents who gave me pretty solid reasons for not having a dog. The fact that a dog would mean we couldn't stay out for long or go traveling on a moments notice (both things my family DID NOT DO, I might add) seemed like it wasn't worth the trouble. When Mary and I got together she talked endlessly about a dog and I told her that I would get a dog if I could name it Fergus.

Fergus was a dog puppet on a French Canadian children's show I watched on recorded VHS tapes sent to me by my Canadian relatives. I always liked the name and it seemed like a pretty solid compromise. So one summer after we had been married for 2 years and living in our apartment for a while we started the hunt for a dog. Since I'm technically allergic to dogs we had a short list of "hypoallergenic" breeds that we were limited to and were committed to adopting. A few weeks into the search Mary found our Fergus at a tiny rescue in Gilroy. After a short phone call with the "foster mom" I took a day off work and we drove the 2 hours to pick up our first fur baby.

Now if you've read anything about Fergus on this blog or know her personally this next part will sound very "on brand." We arrived at a random house in Gilroy and were let in by an older white woman who explained that "Bunny" (Ferg's foster name) was pretty skittish and didn't really do well with people. She suggested that we sit on the ground tossing treats and not making any sudden movements towards her. In perfect Fergus (then Bunny) fashion she proceeded to peer at us from the safety of behind a giant couch. She smelled those treats and would inch closer and then without us doing anything to startle her, she would dart back behind the couch. I was instantly in love. We forced her, terrified and very dirty into a too small for her crate (we were given different measurements) and we took our baby home.

Pets change your life dramatically. Depending on the species, that change could be more or less severe but there's something about co-existing with a non-human animal that changes the way you look at things. Dogs for example are very in the moment (or so that's what scientist claim). They are sad when you're gone and happy when you're there. They're mad when you accidentally step on them (sorry Ferg) and then seconds later they're back to loving you forever. It's hard to live with something that operates that way and not have it rub off even a little.

Since we got Ferg I've started to appreciate the little things more. She's forced me to appreciate going outside and getting fresh air because I'm forced to do it 3-4 times a day. If you had told me two years ago that I would be taking a 20 minute walk first thing in the morning every day I would have laughed in your face. But now that's the routine and I actually enjoy it (most of the time). She's just so happy to play and to be loved and doted on. That energy is so infectious.

There's a laundry list of things I wish I didn't have to worry about or do now that I have a dog but that's the other lesson in having a pet. You're not the only one that needs stuff. On top of that laundry list I also wish I could understand what she's barking at, upset with, scared of and a multitude of other dog emotions I don't get. Another lesson, every one (or being in this case) communicates differently. Sometimes that can be frustrating but sometimes it can teach you a lot to try to see things from another perspective.

So there's my little love blog to Fergus, my first ever dog. She's taught me a million things already and I'm sure she'll continue to amaze, challenge, love and shade me for the rest of her doggie days.

Please enjoy this weird video of her Name Sake below:

No comments:

Post a Comment